Search This Blog

Sunday 10 July 2011

Poor old Luka Modric

Oh Luka. 4 quiet days have passed us by since Levy's head popped out of his Rover and smirked to the happy campers at Sky that Modders was staying with calm and order seemed to have been established. Let's not kid ourselves for to long, quiet days rarely exist at thfc.

How it was only the calm before a second storm. The love and respect for Luka is sitting on cracked ice as once more the Croat ran to the press to explain his side of things. But this time, he kept it local.

Warning: The quotes may cause shock for some.

"I reminded the chairman of our gentleman's agreement when we were in Dubrovnik last summer and I agreed a contract extension with Tottenham," Modric told Croatian newspaper Sportske Novosti.

"At that time, I had an open chat with Levy - that if a bigger club came in with a concrete offer, we would consider it and agree the best solution for all concerned.


"Now Levy doesn't want to talk to me and said there is no possibility that I can leave Spurs. He threatened me - he said if I didn't accept the club's stance, they would make me sit on the bench or in the stands."


"A lot has been published in the press about the meeting with Levy, who gave the public a twisted account of what happened. I must say that I am genuinely disappointed about what Levy said to me. He didn't care about what I was telling him. It all only convinced me further that I was right to consider moving on to another club," he said.


"I hope that eventually he will understand the situation and that we will reach an agreement and go our separate ways in an appropriate manner."


"There is no doubt that Chelsea want me - they sent a concrete offer to Tottenham," he added.


"I know that the new Chelsea boss (Andre Villas-Boas) said he wants me in his team. Of course I am flattered by this interest in me - it's a club that all players dream of joining, fighting for every competition available.


"It wasn't a snap decision - I talked a long time with my family and people whose opinions I respect. I thought about it, weighed it all up, and finally decided this was the best option," he added.


Honest Luka or poorly advised? Naivety jumps to mind when I first read these quotes. It must be a tough life being a footballer, but the reality is that either Levy or Luka are fighting a losing battle and at this point Luka's no closer to his, ahem, 'dream' move to Cheatski as much as the next Tom Dick.

We're paying this poor bloke thousands a week and we deserve the respect of Luka. He's given us two solid seasons, but owes us so much more. Which part of the deal has satisfied us so far? I heard the £22m was the change Abramovich found at the bottom of his trouser pocket. It's also interesting that AVB has told Luka he wants him in the side, I didn't think this was legal?

It was clearer than water that Chelsea's offer was simply a 'look our interest is official' offer and since then Luka's been more than public in trying to engineer a move across London. Money blinds loyalty, we can't kid ourselves that it still exists in the game.

Eagerly anticipating the lost in translation claim. We're not clutching at straws are we?

Regards.

twitter-button.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!