Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Martin O'Neill does Spurs a favour

'Aston Villa have agreed a £12m deal for Steward Downing,' this headline has made my summer. All along I felt uneasy and rather worried at the fact that Downing was still at 'Boro and just had to hope that Redknapp wouldn't get his man. Thank god for Martin O'Neill.

It seems as though the Villa boss wanted us to also make a push for the Champions League by ensuring we don't sign such a bad player and upset us fans in the process; lets be honest, the call for Harry's head would've come around in October should we have signed this player- and I'm an optimistic Spurs fan! Signing Downing would have left us scrapping for our Premiership survival -so no change there then- instead of actually looking above that of 10th spot. Yes, HE would have left us fighting relegation.

Here is a classic case of killing two birds with one stone. The fact that we won't be signing Downing, I'm sure, floods relief through N17; I can feel it running through me now. There is also the future of Ashley Young that comes into question, pulling off such a quality signing would complete our team in my opinion. But then again, there's the price issue, other clubs and so on, that's a whole different matter.

How Downing will/has passed his medical is beyond me; they seem to be easier to pass than 'GO' is on a Monopoly board.

Regards,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!